Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Primavera in Firenze

Ciao tutti!
Sorry I didn't post this weekend but to be honest, I didn't travel anywhere so I sort of forgot I had things to recap. Never fear, I'm posting now :) This weekend I, obviously, stayed in Florence but I actually had a WONDERFUL weekend. A lot of my friends went to different places (Steph & Shira went to Paris, Molly was in Germany, Nat's parents were here, Meg went to Rome for Saturday & Sunday), so I kinda planned on having a relaxing weekend from the get-go. On Wednesday after classes, Molly asked if I wanted to get the famous Gusta Pizza with her. Since I hadn't tried it (and I've slowly been realizing I only have a month left here), I said yes! Meg and Nat ended up meeting us and we all indulged in the most delicious pizza I have ever laid eyes on/smelled/tasted. For those who eat pizza with me regularly (Angela), I even ate the crust, THAT'S how delicious it was! They also have this spicy olive oil on every table that I immediately fell in love with. And I tried this Italian beer called Nastro Azzurro which is now probably my favorite beer (haha). All in all, GustaPizza was an AMAZING DELICACY and the second I left, I was craving it again. 
So Thursday, the weather was beautiful. It was high seventies, like it's been all weekend. It's pretty boggling how quickly Florence transformed from winter to spring. I felt like just a few weeks ago I was wearing boots (gli stivali), scarfs (la sciarpa) and jackets (la giacca) everywhere, now I sweat when I wear jeans out! Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (and I'm already getting tan!) but this primavera came outta nowhere! So on Thursday, I laid out a little bit and then wandered with Meg and Nat around the city. We found this yummy fruit and yogurt place and treated ourselves. After Nat had to go meet her parents at the hotel, Meg and I want BACK to GustaPizza to get Nastro Azzurros and lay out at the Pity Palace with drinking them. Even in the late afternoon (we were at Pity from 4-530) I still got burnt! The sun is soooo strong here and it stays strong for so much longer than the states. 
That night, Meg, Nat, Rachel and I decided to go out before Meg and Nat departed for their weekend excursions. We went to Kikuya to get their infamous "Dragoon" beer, which is supposedly this very strong beer and I've been nervous to try it. So we just went for it and let me tell you, NEVER.AGAIN. The Dragoon is tricky, see it tastes like a regular beer so it's not hard to drink, but it has over TWICE the alcohol content of a regular pint of beer. So essentially, just casually sipping one of those puppies is equivalent to chugging two and a half beers. I didn't anticipate the effect it was going to have on me, so naturally I just went home and plopped down on my bed. Down for the count like a rookie, so disappointing. (In my defense, Meg said the same thing happened to her- she just had a longer walk home). 
Needless to say, I didn't do much on Friday except lay out in the sun. I stayed in Friday night and wrote a paper for my Ethics class that's due tomorrow. I even did the presentation! Saturday I woke up to a bbm from Robin (who's studying in Perugia) saying that her and two of her friends were doing a bike tour through Chianti and wanted to stay in Florence for the night. So since my apt was practically empty, I said they could crash here! We all went to the Diner (since we all eat Italian food constantly), we had actually wanted to go to this Mexican restaurant across the street from my apt called Tijuana and have margaritas, but they were all booked with reservations. Afterwards, Robin's friends came back to the apt but I took Robin out for Sangria at Kikuya and then to secret bakery! It was fun to show someone around and I can't wait for Meg to get here in two weeks!
Sunday, I spent most of the day sunbathing at this semi-beach on the bank of the Arno but the sun was SO HOT that I came back early and wrote ANOTHER paper due next week when Mom's here :) I was so productive! Yesterday, I had class as usual but after class, Kayla and I decided to go out for a dinner date! We went to this pizza place in San Lorenzo, near Mercato Centrale, called Rossopomodoro (which means pink tomato, haha kinda close to Red Tomato in Madison... oh, except MUCH BETTER). I got this delicious pizza with Bufala mozzarella, proscuitto slices and arugula. It was heaven, pizza is my new favorite meal. I need to get it at least once a week before I leave. After we went to Gelateria de Neri and got dessert- dark chocolate and yogurt gelato. So yummy!

Hmm what else.. OH, today I registered for classes for my first semester senior year (so weird)! So next semester I'm taking: 1- Sociology of Disaster with Hirsch, 2- Urban Sociology with Hirsch, 3- WMS Capstone: Representations of Motherhood with Sedney, 4- Principles of Moral Decision with Petri (my second Theo) and 5- Women and Family Issues Internship (hopefully with the Women's Center of Rhode Island!). So that's a full course load, it's gonna be interesting getting back into the swing of things at PC but I do miss it and I'm excited to start senior year :)

So I'll probably post again next week! I'm meeting Mom in Rome on Friday for the weekend and we'll be getting back to Florence Monday morning! I'm so excited to see her and do a little mini-Italy tour together! Updates soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment