Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bello Tempo!

It's 65 degrees and sunny in Florence today! I went out with my light jacket on and was actually warm! You can tell the tourism is starting to pick up because I couldn't walk 5 feet without tripping on an Asian tour group, or Americans with fanny packs holding a map arms length away, shouting "Where is the DoOmo?" (Mom, kinda reminds me of the lady in Paris- "Is this the SEEEEne river?"


Anyway, it's really awesome to see the city come alive on such a nice day! I went out to try and find ballet flats to wear. The weather is getting too nice to keep wearing boots but it's not nice enough for sandals yet, so I went scouting for a cheap pair. I had a whooping 27 euro left in my weekly budget, but I wanted to save a little so one day I could buy an infamous Florentine leather jacket. I found this great little shop about three blocks from the Duomo that had a hugeee selection. Of course, the first two pairs I fell in love with, didn't have my size (apparently having small feet here is a curse instead of a blessing, like at TJMaxx). So i settled on my third choice, still cute.. not AS comfortable, but only 8 euro! Then I just wandered for about an hour, enjoying the sun and navigating my way around the tourists. I went all the way down to the Piazza Signoria and down to the river and I considered wandering up by Santa Croce, but I was getting hungry. I had an intense craving for my favorite sandwich at my favorite sandwich shop, the Oil Shoppe.. I don't remember the sandwich's name but it's wicked spicy and delicious. Everyone who spent time with me this summer knows that I'm mildly addicted to spicy foods (my Thai curry obsession.. yep, three times a week every week this summer). So once I got it in my head I couldn't get it out. So I walked allll the way to Oil Shoppe only to find that they were CLOSED ON SUNDAYS. I was so upset. Once again, I settled for my second choice and got a kebab. I told the guy I wanted it extra spicy and he like laughed at me? But I was serious. So he like put all these peppery things on it and don't get me wrong, the kebab was AMAZING but definitely not spicy enough. I ate the whole thing eagerly anticipating that one bite when your face gets bright red, your eyes tear and you feel your nose about to drip--- and it never came. Oh well, it was so delicious and I think the guy thought a small American girl couldn't handle "real" spice.. whatta jerk :(


So, now I'm back at the apt, waiting for the laundry to finish so I can shower. I'm probably gonna watch more Weeds, since I just found season 6 online and it's wayyy better than season 5. Maybe I'll do some homework. Tomorrow morning our landlord and his wife are coming over to wash our sheets and clean our apartment (sweet, right?!) so I have to be out of here by 9 am. I think I'm gonna go on a run, since I can feel my body widening, and go grocery shopping, maybe reward myself with some gelato, the possibilities are endless! Okay, miss you all a lot!! Send me some emails/go on skype, talk to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment